Sunday, July 12, 2009

Writing Rants

There is a popular series that I have a funny mix of love and loathing for. I love the fantasy elements, the author's vivid imagination, and the spunky main characters. What I don't like is the fact that in every single book, the author gets the young main characters to a point where it's hopeless, which is great, but then he always brings in some random magical being or adult to save the day, rather than letting his awesome main characters be strong enough to do it themselves. It's always a big disappointment for me.

My new big frustration with the book was a poorly done twist at the ending. I thought I loved big twists of plot near the end. That's one of the reason that I love Harry Potter, especially books 3 and 4 in that series. But this book I just finished last night taught me that there are a few things that I do not love in a twist ending. A good guy ended up being a bad guy, which I could handle, but this good/bad guy also happened to be the love interest, and there just weren't enough hints to lead up to the fact that this romance was doomed. So disappointing. It felt like one big huge "Gotcha," and I don't really like to feel tricked as a reader. It just changed gears so fast, without enough subtle hints to lead up to it.

In all fairness, the author is good enough at what he does right that I've bought every book in this series, and I'll probably buy the last one too. I suppose that's what I'll have to analyze next. What makes a book good enough that even if it's flawed, you can't wait to read more?

4 comments:

Alyosha said...

Oh, come on. You won't even tell us the books? :)

Kim Woodruff said...

I'll email you if you want:)

Kim Woodruff said...

I didn't want to ruin the endings for anyone that likes the series.

morgan said...

I want know!